Parafia Ewangelicko-Augsburska w Olsztynie
The Evangelic (Lutheran) Church in Olsztyn
The 19-th century evangelic community of Olsztyn did not have its own church. The services took place in the north wing of the nearby castle, in one of the halls rendered by the local authorities. In 1828 the evangelic community decided to build a church. Therefore, a building plot was bought in 1833 and a project of a church was ordered at a famous architect. Karl Fryderyk Schinckl. Unfortunately, the konstrution of the building did not start because of łąck of money.
Fifty years later, on the 9th of June 1876, pastor Albert Zapatka consecrated the comer stone of a new church. But the old plans were not followend. The new ones were madę by a briklayer master, Mr. Phulman from Olsztyn.
And finally, after a year and half, a new church was ready. The ceremony of concecration took place on the 15th of October 1877 and was celebrated by pastor A. Zapatka. The representatives of local authorities, worshippers and, being preyious at the office, pastor Aleksander Paczyński were present at the ceremony.
However, from the very beginning the church itself was too smali for a big ten thousand evangelic community of Olsztyn. That is why, in 1899 it was reconstructed to its present form.
The building has the shape of a Neolithic hali church with three empros and a 40 meter high tower. Its nave is 19 meters long and 12 meters wide and is between 9 and 13 meters high.
The church was equipped with organ madę by a famous firm Terlecki from Królewiec.
A mechanical clock was placed on the church tower as well as three different
size bells. There are three inscription on the bells:
The simplicity of the church inside matches the evangelic tradition
of Reformation expressed in Jesus Chrisfs words:
Services - every Sunday and on church holidays - 1030 a.m.
|C2005 Parafia Ewangelicko-Augsburska w Olsztynie||Powrót do strony Parafii Wydrukuj stronę |